Have you noticed the abundance of elephant motifs and designs in our everyday lives? Even the latest New York Magazine issue has an elephant on it's cover (well, that's because it's about the Republican Party - and if you want to know, the donkey is the symbol for the Democratic Party). Nevertheless, it's an elephant.
|New York Magazine May 30, 2011|
So political views aside, there's some pretty awesome designs out there in fashion and for the home. I've always been a fan of Dumbo, the Disney character. Not only because he has cute ears that can fly, but he turn the big and somewhat scary (because of it's size) animal into something cute for all of us and inspired creative designers to do much more. Take a look at the following:
- West Elm Cast Iron Elephant Bookend - $24 This is one beautiful simple elephant item. It will make a nice bookend, but also just as a stand alone decorative element. Have one currently in my office! Even though it's no longer available online, some of West Elm's stores still carries it.
- Organic Wooden Elephant Teether for Baby - $10 Rewood Toys from Etsy carries some nice organic wooden toys for infants. It's great for the environment, as well as for your little ones.
- Baby Zoo King Elephant Wall Decal - $55 Who says elephants must be gray? Little Lion Studio definitely gives it the fun factor.
- Vitra Mini Eames Plywood Elephant - $185 A little pricey, but the name, the design and the craftsmanship definitely makes it worth it. Great time to grab a free jar and see how long you can save up for this using spare change!
- Elephant Bookend by Eve Chang for MOMA - $38 Bought one as a gift, but loved it so much, I grabbed another one, standing right next to my childhood pictures. (Again, not used as a bookend.)
- Elephants with Water and Birds Nursery Wall Decal - $38 Just as sweet.
- Carved Elephant Candles from Bliss Living Home - $15 The only thing you need to decide is which color. I'm partial towards the yellow. You?
- Green Elephant Ring Holder by Gantz at The Jungle Store - $4.99 What a great deal for a cute figurine as this.
- Eames Elephant at DWR - $290 Another Eames elephant, but this one is about the size of a little puppy. It's a great accessory at home for the empty corner or next to the sofa.
- Elephant Paper Clips at the MOMA - $7 It's so cute that I wouldn't want to use it!
- Elephant Artwork printed on Recycled Dictionary Page - $12 A beautiful piece of original artwork. Frame it and place it anywhere you like.
- Elephant logo of TinyPrints.com - Just their logo that I find extremely adorable. With a logo like that, you can be sure your custom stationary will get praise by all who receive them.
Resources (Clockwise from top left):
- Mother of Pearl Elephant Etched Cuff Links from Banana Republic - $39 Subtle, but a keeper
- Sterling Silver Elephant Stud Earrings - $30 Check out other cute Zoo inspired jewelry from Zooz Jewelry at Etsy.
- Lucky Elephant Lariat by Sora Designs - $32.50 Isn't this beautiful?
- Elli Lucky Petit Gold Elephant Charm Necklace - $32 I can imagine myself passing this down to my daughter in the future (if and when I have a daughter).
- Elephant Design Screen Print T-Shirt - $16
- Diamond Gemstone Rose Gold Plated Elephant Cuff links - $125
- Elegant Elephant Soft Aqua Seaglass Locket - $14 Unique it is.
- Elephant Print Timeless Tank - $22.50 If pink is too girly for you, there's always gray.