time for farming 2

As a continuation from my previous post, "time for farming 1", I'm excited to say we planted our first vegetable garden this past weekend!


We purchased the vegetable garden kit from Hilltop Hanover Farm and got straight to work. The kit includes a diagram and instructions for planting seeds and vegetables, which is a great help to us beginners. Seeds in the kit include beans, carrots, lettuce, radish, sunflowers (which goes in each corner of the garden, which I assume is to help pollinate the garden), and zucchini. The kit also includes small basil, beets, chard, cucumbers, peppers and tomato plants. This is more than enough for a beginner and a small household, but the thought of eating our own hard work, and healthy vegetables just makes it sweeter. Now, I'm just hoping the weather cooperates.

Will it work? Will it just wilt and die? Or will it bear the sweetest vegetables I've ever tasted? Well, I guess we'll just have to see. It's definitely requires some work and dedication and I am glad to have neighbors who are supportive and knowledgeable. Wish us luck!

For those who are like us, new at this, it's worth the effort to not only eat healthy produce, but it is a way to build relationships. Last year, our neighbor gave us a fruit basket with their produce, and it was just right. Having this garden allows my husband and I to enjoy something together. Even though, he's the one doing most of the heavy lifting, it's a nice bonding moment. Here are some cool vegetable gardens I read in this month's Sunset magazine:

June 2011 Sunset Magazine
I'm particularly impressed by the garden on the log float. Nothing stops avid gardeners!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment