Friday, October 16, 2015

Brrr...is it Chili time?

Did it just get chilly or is it just me? Whenever the weather gets a little cooler, my husband brings up, "So are we ready for chili yet?" Chili is one thing that my husband loves and I like to experiment with. I like to try different recipes whenever I come across one. So far, the standard one from Joy of Cooking is still his favorite. So when I came across The Chili Cookbook by Robb Walsh, I just had to try it.


What do you think?

This time, I've made my husband do the choosing the recipe to try and he chose the Original Cincinnati Chili, and we've invited a friend to come try it too. Here it is:

So? The image doesn't really do it justice. It was actually pretty good. This is actually my first time eating Cinci Chili and I was surprise that it doesn't contain any beans what soever. Not only that, this recipe doesn't even call for any fresh chili! Yummy, and I had served it with slices of sourdough which works really well. Mr. Walsh suggests serving it with oyster crackers, but I didn't have any, so bread it is.

This is the only recipe I've tried so far, and I liked it. I would continue others in the near future, so stay tune on my FB page for updates.

As to the cookbook itself, I am happy that there is a chili cookbook out there. I haven't seen many and this one does contain a lot of different recipes. The format is simple with a little story on top (pretty interesting and somewhat informative). Ingredients on the left, and the instructions on the right. Straightforward. What gets a little confusing is how the recipes are broken down. It has an intro, which works great as informative and a little dictionary of the various chili identification. It's how it breaks down into four parts and within those parts, chapters.  It didn't really made sense to me because on top of that, there's always a couple of pages with history that gets lost in there.  Also, I want to mention the font is a little on the small side. If you have to follow along while prepping or cooking, you'll have to stick your face closer to read.  Nice pictures too!

It's a decent size cookbook, small, easy to manage, great binding, easy to open and it does stay open. Recipes all look pretty decent and I do look forward to trying most of them.


NOTE: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, Ten Speed Press through Blogging for Books for an honest review.

                                                                                                                                                                                
About the book: 
The Chili Cookbook 
(Ten Speed Press, September 2015)

A cookbook devoted to the family friendly, tailgate party classic–featuring more than 60 tried-and-true recipes–from veteran cookbook author and Americana expert Robb Walsh.
 
Americans love chili. Whether served as a hearty family dinner, at a potluck with friends, or as the main dish at a football-watching party, chili is a crowd-pleaser. It’s slathered over tamales in San Antonio, hot dogs in Detroit, and hamburgers in Los Angeles. It’s ladled over spaghetti in Cincinnati, hash browns in St. Louis, and Fritos corn chips in Santa Fe.
 
In The Chili Cookbook, award-winning author Robb Walsh digs deep into the fascinating history of this quintessential American dish. Who knew the cooking technique traces its history to the ancient Aztecs, or that Hungarian goulash inspired the invention of chili powder?
 
Fans in every region of the country boast the “one true recipe,” and Robb Walsh recreates them all—60 mouth-watering chilis from easy slow-cooker suppers to stunning braised meat creations. There are beef, venison, pork, lamb, turkey, chicken, and shrimp chilis to choose from—there is even an entire chapter on vegetarian chili. The Chili Cookbook is sure to satisfy all your chili cravings.


To Purchase a Copy:  AmazonIndieBound

                                                                                                                                                                                

About the author: 

A three-time James Beard award winner, ROBB WALSH is the author of five previous Texas cookbooks. A former restaurant reviewer for the Houston Press and the Austin Chronicle, Walsh currently co-owns a Tex-Mex restaurant in Houston with chef Bryan Caswell. Walsh is a cofounder and board member of Foodways Texas.    
 
The mission of Foodways Texas is to preserve, promote, and celebrate the diverse food cultures of Texas. For more information, visit www.foodwaystexas.com.cravings.


No comments :

Post a Comment