Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Let Love Fall like Snowflakes

"Falling Like Snowflakes" by Denise Hunter is not a fuzzy frilly Christmas love story of how two people fell in love in time for Christmas. No. It is not.  More like, it is not just that.  This is a story of a mother's love, a son's ability to trust again and a born protector learning about what true love is. Reading this will evoke emotions. Emotions that jumps up at you and grabs hold.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Speeding north through rural Maine, Eden Martelli wonders how her life came to this—on the run with her mute five-year-old son dozing fitfully in the passenger seat. When a breakdown leaves them stranded in Summer Harbor, Eden has no choice but to stay put through Christmas . . . even though they have no place to lay their heads.

Beau Callahan is a habitual problem solver—for other people anyway. He left the sheriff’s department to take over his family’s Christmas tree farm, but he’s still haunted by the loss of his parents and struggling to handle his first Christmas alone.
When Eden shows up looking for work just as Beau’s feisty aunt gets out of the hospital, Beau thinks he’s finally caught a break. Eden is competent and dedicated—if a little guarded—and a knockout to boot. But, as he soon finds out, she also comes with a boatload of secrets.
Eden has been through too much to trust her heart to another man, but Beau is impossible to resist, and the feeling seems to be mutual. As Christmas Eve approaches, Eden’s past catches up to her.
Beau will go to the ends of the earth to keep her safe. But who’s going to protect his heart from a woman who can’t seem to trust again?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


What do you think? I've never read anything from Denise Hunter, but that will change this day forward. I will look forward to her books, especially since I would love to continue reading additional Summer Harbor novels. And may I point out how ironic it is that it's the first book of the Summer Harbor series, and the setting and title suggest the ideal opposite of winter and snow?  I just LOVE it.  Speaking of which, the cover - it's like a slow, steady romance brewing in a time of hope and the ultimate love. It's perfect. Falling like Snowflakes - how one can slowly fall in love, and once fallen, it melts in your heart. So metaphorically beautiful. Am I thinking too much? Am I analyzing too much here? I don't know. I enjoyed this book in one sitting, at a cafe while on vacation. It was just suppose to be a break, before I head back on my exploring my old city, but I couldn't stop. The end.  

What can I say about Eden and Beau? Eden is a great mom. Her protectiveness of  Micah and herself jumps at me. Their past demons tightens my nerves as I fear for them.  With Beau it took some time to warm up to the idea of him and Eden as he was in a relationship for a large portion of the novel. However, it allows for the emotional turmoil and confusion that we can read about.  Micah was a wonderful and endearing addition to the novel, and it makes your heart warm loving this character.  Aunt Trudy's feisty, hard on the outside, soft in the inside is one chuckle moment after the other. Riley, Zac and Paige are all great characters I hope to get to know more in future Summer Harbor novels. 

The suspense aspect was unexpected, especially since my assumption was more on the line of a domestic violence type issue. So reading and falling in love with "Falling Like Snowflakes" was unexpected, unpredictable and unforeseen.  In the end, as I turn off my e-reader, I took a breath and started thinking.  In this novel, it provided us a wonderful example of what God's intervention is. It reminded me of Proverbs 16:9, 'In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.'  That is how Eden made a stop at Summer Harbor. It is also the time of how they needed help with Aunt Trudy and the Callahan's tree farm needs a new website and the connections of Beau's previous employment at a deputy sheriff...etc. All those are examples of God's work, and it created a sense of peace in me as I sit at the cafe.  If you're a newbie to Denise Hunter and you like clean romantic fiction, you have to add this to your must buy and must read list. 

Released Date: September 8, 2015

NOTE: I received a complimentary copy of this e-book from the publisher, Thomas Nelson Fiction through Net Galley for an honest review.


TO PURCHASE A COPY: AmazonChristianBookIndieBound

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Denise Hunter is the internationally published bestselling author of more than 20 books, including Dancing with Fireflies and The Convenient Groom. She has won The Holt Medallion Award, The Reader's Choice Award, The Foreword Book of the Year Award, and is a RITA finalist. When Denise isn't orchestrating love lives on the written page, she enjoys traveling with her family, drinking green tea, and playing drums. Denise makes her home in Indiana where she and her husband are raising three boys.

CONTACT DENISE HERE  website ç facebook  ç twitter  ç pinterest ç 

No comments :

Post a Comment