Monday, November 16, 2015

Called to Pray

Do you think you're ever called to pray? Is praying difficult for you? Do you ever wonder if there's any use in praying?  Well, this book will let you know the answer.



Title:  Called to Pray
Author:  Linda Evans Shepherd
Publisher:  Revell 
Release Date:  September 15, 2015

      

ABOUT THE BOOK
When you feel a nudge to pray, what will you do?


Most of us have felt it at one time or another: that unexplained prompting in our hearts to stop and pray for a friend, a loved one, or even a stranger. Sometimes we are even awakened from a deep sleep with an even deeper need to go to God in prayer. Where do those urges come from? Are they truly from God? Or are they merely stray thoughts? And if we respond in prayer, are others' lives affected at all?

In Called to Pray, Linda Evans Shepherd shares dozens of inspiring true stories of people who have heeded God's call to pray and the astonishing results of those impromptu prayers. Through accounts of people being protected from harm and rescued from danger, of needs being met and hearts being encouraged, you'll see that God is involved in an active and dynamic relationship with us--and that we can be part of his plan to bless others.

If you have ever wondered if prayer has any real effect or doubted that God communicates with us personally, this heart-stirring book will amaze, inspire, and equip you to respond to those holy promptings.
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

MY THOUGHTS

You may be astounded by what you read in this book, but mostly, I am just in awe.  Prayers are powerful because they are your direct communication with God.  I've learned that prayers come in any form, even if your words are not Pulitzer Prize worthy, they are music to our Father in Heaven.  They are music because He loves hearing from us. He is a loving God.  I know from personal experience how awesome our God is, and that He answers prayers. It may not be what you expect, but there will always be an answer. There are times I slack off a bit or I'm too wounded emotionally to pray, but that's the thing. It is only after prayers that I realize that is just what I needed. 

The many stories in Called to Pray not only affirmed my belief in the power of prayers, but it encouraged and inspired me to believe that we are all called to pray, not only for ourselves but others as well. And even if the motive is selfish, God can and will use it for good.  God is a God of coincidences. What you may not know or see, does not mean God didn't orchestrate something wonderful out of it.  I've shared my story on coincidences before, so you know I've experienced it first hand.  

I am drawn to the many stories of faith in this book. I love how each story begins with a biblical verse and ends with a wonderful prayer, a prayer that you, yourself can use as well. As I was reading through, I prayed those very words because I longed to be in communication with God.  When I cam across "Empty Arms", it hit home for me in many ways. The desires of my heart are known by God, and only when He abides in me and I in Him that I will feel peace in submitting them to Him.  

QUOTABLE QUOTES
"Dear Lord, I am asking you to guide me and to help me bear your voice.  Help me to conquer my fears, to block out the voice of the enemy, to put my selfish ambition and pride at bay, and to do what you are calling me to do.  In fact, Lord, I'm taking this moment to listen as I ask, What would you have me do?  My answer is yes.  I give you my fear and ask that you give me your strength to be obedient.  In Jesus' name, amen." (94)
"We cannot judge God's level of love for us by the weight of our difficulties.  The key to enjoying God's love is to trust that despite our difficulties he is at work in our lives." (84)

Yes. Despite our difficulties and struggles in life, know that He loves us and His love is always at work.  Talk to Him and He will let you know.  

A great book for yourself or as a gift. I truly believe this book is a blessing and I thank God for it.

NOTE:  I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, Revell for an honest review.

TO PURCHASE A COPY

      

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Linda Evans Shepherd is an award-winning author, a popular speaker, and a radio personality. The president of Right to the Heart Ministries, she is the author of several books, including When You Don't Know What to Pray, Experiencing God's Presence, and The Stress Cure. She and her husband live in Colorado.






1 comment :