Audiobook Review: The Awakening by KE Ganshert


"I can't go home. It's not safe. NOWHERE is." 
The Awakening. 


Title:  The Awakening
Series: The Gifting Book 2
Author: K.E. Ganshert
Publisher:  Self Published on CreateSpace
Release Date:  May 1, 2016
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy

Format: Audiobook 
Narrated by: Heather Masters



ABOUT THE BOOK

Tess Eckhart isn’t crazy. She’s not suffering from psychosis. She and Luka Williams are part of The Gifting. Before they can find out what that means, the man with all the answers turns up dead. The only thing he left behind? A few patient files that lead to the nation’s most lawless city.

With authorities chasing them, Luka and Tess escape into the very heart of peril and against all odds, find an underground community of people just like them. They aren’t gathered together for the sole purpose of survival, either. They have a plan and a purpose–to awaken as many people with The Gifting as possible. It’s dangerous and deadly work. Tess wants to help. Luka is desperate to keep her safe–a task that proves increasingly difficult as Tess’s gifting comes to light.

Is Tess Eckhart the One they’ve been waiting for? The One with the power to save them all?

                                                                                                                                                                      

MY THOUGHTS

Did I tell you that I really enjoyed The Gifting by K.E. Ganshert? Really. Don't believe me? Check out my review here. The premise sounds just all too real, along with a dose of fantasy mixed in. The only thing I wasn't exactly thrilled with the narrator's portrayal of Tess in Book 1. Then comes Book 2, The Awakening. Let me sidetrack a bit and say, "What a great title". It's sharp and to the point, with the feeling of foreboding adventures coming our, I mean the characters' way.  I've enjoyed The Gifting so much, that I'm willing to overlook Heather Masters narration, and continue on in the audio versions of the series.  As I begin The Awakening, I had to do a double take and look up the narrator to make sure it's the same person. Heather Masters was GREAT in this sequel. She truly embodied Tess as she comes into who she is as a person, as a girl that could be the one for The Gifting and for Luka.   All the emotions were spot on, and the narration of the events, let's just say I even shed tears at one point. Kudos to Heather.



Continuing on with what makes The Gifting remarkable, The Awakening resumes in captivating us with what is the Gifting, and the romantic development between Tess and Luka. What makes this sequel strong is how friendships, both genuine and insincere ones reflect off of both characters, and the underlying meaning of free will. The personal choice to be who they are and what they are willing to sacrifice for love. I'm caught onto Luka's unmistakable attraction to Tess, and his will to protect Tess, yet I'm equally irked by Tess' reluctance to accept Luka's apparent love.  That's it for now, and hopefully not too spoiler-ish.  And to those that prefer more actions than the emotional turmoils of our characters, don't worry. There's plenty of activity, and when it happens, you'll be on the edge of your seat, toe-curling, fingers clutching, eyes popping and heart thumping, wishing you have the ability to speed read or speed listen in my case, and see it to the end. Yes, KE had me good. I can't let go and I won't let go, because after The Awakening, you'll NEED to get to The Gathering as soon as possible.   It doesn't hurt that the story gave me an image with the above quote that no booknerd can deny. *wink wink




NOTE:  I received a complimentary audio copy of this book for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.


TO PURCHASE AN AUDIBLE COPY - currently FREE for a limited time only (as of this post) for Audible trials!


TO PURCHASE A COPY  

  

                                                                                                                                                                      



K.E. Ganshert (Katie) was born and raised in the exciting state of Iowa, where she currently resides with her family. She likes to write things and consume large quantities of coffee and chocolate while she writes all the things. She's won some awards. For the writing, not the consuming. Although the latter would be fun. You can learn more about K.E. Ganshert and these things she writes at her website katieganshert.com.

TO CONNECT WITH KATIE:  website,  facebook, twitter



                                                                                                                                                                      


CONVERSATION

3 comments:

  1. Never read any of these books but that quote was just awesome! I could totally get into this series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot wait to finish this series. I absolutely loved the first book - and you've reminded me that I *need* to buy books two and three. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah! You'll love it. It's soooo good!

    Russian, o..I'm with you. I can't wait to finish this too but for continuity sake, I'm waiting for the audio version and THEN I'm going back to read the books! I love this series!

    ReplyDelete