Below: The Broken Sky Chronicles, Book 1 by Jason Chabot


Title:  Below
Series: The Broken Sky Chronicles, Book 1
Author: Jason Chabot
Publisher:  Turner Publishing
Release Date:  August 16, 2016
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian / Science-Fiction





The first volume in this thrilling trilogy opens on the barren plains of Below, where Hokk and his fox sidekick, Nym, live in exile amid the remnants of our modern age.
Overhead, on the floating islands of Above, Elia is trapped in a life of endless toil and drudgery as a laundress for the Mirrored Palace. To Elia, the islands’ edges are borders that no one dares cross until the ancient ritual that delivers the dead to Below. But a series of natural disasters rumbling through Above sends Elia’s world crashing into Hokk’s―and she falls Below.
Their journey together will propel them across endless plains and through shattered cities in a centuries-old battle for the very earth and sky around them . . .



Below by Jason Chabot is dystopian fiction at core, filled with action, suspense and of course some romantic tension happening.  It's different, and I like that it's different, but there are times where it drags a bit. The early parts of the story is the "getting to know" phase and to understand the world of above and below.  As we start getting into the development, it lacks more depth. However, once we're into it, the action picks up and bang, it leaves us with a cliffhanger! I'm still unsure of how I feel of Hokk and Elia. Nym is obviously the cute little one, but our two main characters have not truly grown on me yet. With all that said, don't be surprise when I say that I do like it and I look forward to the second book of The Broken Sky Chronicles, Above. It's one of those stories that doesn't "hit" you until you've read it in it's entirety or let it sit in you for some time. It's one of those I put on the "must read again" to fully appreciate the ingenuity of its dynamics and characters. So, yes, I do recommend it, and I gotta admit, that cover is quite interesting. 


NOTE:  I received a complimentary ARC of this book from the publisher for an honest review.  All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.


TO PURCHASE A COPY

  



Photo by: Shawn Shirazi

Jason Chabot grew up in the rural outskirts of Chilliwack, B.C., and now, with his CA designation, works as a financial controller in Vancouver.


TO CONNECT WITH JASON:  website,  facebook,  twitter







                                                                                                                                                                      





CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Annie, thank you for sharing your thoughts. The cover is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete