Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally


Title:  Breathe, Annie, Breathe
Series: Hundred Oaks, Book 5
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Publisher:  Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date:  April 7, 2015
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary 





Annie hates running. No matter how far she jogs, she can’t escape the guilt that if she hadn’t broken up with Kyle, he might still be alive. So to honor his memory, she starts preparing for the marathon he intended to race.

But the training is even more grueling than Annie could have imagined. Despite her coaching, she’s at war with her body, her mind—and her heart. With every mile that athletic Jeremiah cheers her on, she grows more conflicted. She wants to run into his arms…and sprint in the opposite direction. For Annie, opening up to love again may be even more of a challenge than crossing the finish line.



Hardback Cover
I had to read Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally.  I mean, it has my name in the title, and somehow, the title just sounds too familiar in my daily life to let go.  Yes, I'm breathing.  And I'm happily reporting that Breathe, Annie, Breathe made a fan of Miranda Kenneally out of me. OK, the title did tipped the favor over, but just a tiny bit. Now the book, the story, that's the crux of my interest. It's simple. Girl loves boy. Boy loves girl. Boy dies. Girl wants to run the marathon in place of said boy. Simple, right? No and yes. No, because of all the emotional baggage that comes with it, especially when you're just a teen, 18, but still young.  Yes, because the author made this story simple, but not simple in a bad way. It's simplicity lies in how easy it is to read. How easily we are absorbed into Annie's world, and feel her emotions. A relatable character and one to root for.  There are angst and confusion, and yes, even focus. The focus it requires to run, to train and to move on.  And how well the author shared about letting go and how that's the only way to hold onto love. So beautifully said and demonstrated.

A typical YA novel, but it also have enough depth to appreciate the journey of growing. Breathe, Annie, Breathe makes me want to take up running, but I'll be sure to buy vaseline! Love that little humor in it too.  I'm adding the rest of the books in the series on my TBR. I need to get my hands on those! And you should too, especially Breathe, Annie, Breathe.



For my clean readers, please note there are some language and intimacy in this novel.

NOTE:  I won a copy of this book in a giveaway. A review was not required.  All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.


TO PURCHASE A COPY

  




Miranda Kenneally enjoys reading and writing young adult literature, and loves Star Trek, music, sports, Mexican food, Twitter, coffee, and her husband. She is from Tennessee but now lives in Arlington, Virginia.
TO CONNECT WITH MIRANDA:  website,  facebook,  twitter










                                                                                                                                                                      





CONVERSATION

9 comments:

  1. i had to come over here and read this review since I seem to remember saying those exact words to you a time or two recently. Or maybe you said them to yourself. ;) "Breathe, Annie, breathe."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and enjoyed it. I'm a runner and have never had to use Vaseline. I kept yelling at her coach--get the right clothes for this girl so she doesn't have skin issues. Seamless technology is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the disclaimer that there's some intimacy mentioned in the book. I appreciate the heads up so that I don't share the book with my daughter (she's a little young for that yet).
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear friend, CARRIE!! hahaha. I know what you mean!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DANIELLE, REALLY? no vaseline? hahha.. Even with the little blubbers of thighs I have??!! (oops, TMI there!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. DIANNA, I get it. Sometimes, when I don't expect at all, it even turns on the blush factor, especially for younger kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie, I so appreciate the warning for "clean readers".

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're very welcome CARYL. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like books that handle grief issues with teens. The running theme looks interesting too!

    ReplyDelete