Thursday, July 14, 2016

Five Days in Skye by Carla Laureano


"A Scottish Romance Brimming with Heart and Heat" (back cover)

Title:  Five Days in Skye
Series: The MacDonald Family Trilogy, Book 1
Author: Carla Laureano
Publisher: David C. Cook
Release Date: June 10, 2013
Genre: Contemporary Inspirational Fiction



Hospitality consultant Andrea Sullivan has one last chance to snag a high-profile client or she'll have to kiss her dreams of promotion good-bye. When she's sent to meet Scottish celebrity chef James MacDonald on the Isle of Skye, she just wants to finish her work as efficiently as possible. Yet her client is not the opportunistic womanizer he portrays himself to be, and her attraction to him soon dredges up memories she'd rather leave buried. For James, renovating the family hotel is a fulfillment of his late father's dreams. When his hired consultant turns out to be beautiful, intelligent, and completely unimpressed by his public persona, he makes it his mission to win her over. He just never expects to fall under her spell.

Soon, both Andrea and James must face the reality that God may have a far different purpose for their lives—and that five days in Skye will forever change their outlook on life and love.


Having heard such rave reviews of Five Days in Skye by Carla Laureano from fellow bloggers, and been warned that our main character, James is actually the #myJames of Meez Carrie of Reading is My SuperPower, I had to see what the hype is. I mean come on! I was threatened (Yes, MeezCarrie, I'm calling you out)!  So I read it.

I was emotionally swept away to the Scottish Highlands. The vivid scenery as described in Carla's prose had me hooked onto the setting. Her characters, from James (we'll get back to him), Andrea, Ian, Serena and Muriel felt close and endearing.  James and Andrea had different ideas to what their dreams were, while their spiritual and emotional chords are both wounded and doubtful at times.  As they approach their lives and their dreams, their journey to healing their hearts may very well bring them more than what they expect. I love the theme of restoration, not only the physical aspect of the hotel, but their spirits as well. That parallel won't be lost on readers, and the message of the kind of brokenness only God can heal.

Now onto James. Charming is an understatement. That man is oozing with charisma, roguish smirks and a handsome face. And lets not forget a man that can cite some pretty classic Cary Grant movies knows romance. *sigh. (MeezCarrie sure knows how to pick them.) Andrea is smart, sassy and uptight, but in a way I relate and love. I love the flaws of these characters, and by the end of the novel, we truly see their development individually and collectively.  The funny moments will have you laugh out loud, the tender moments, a sigh escapes before you knew, and the moments you find yourself in awe with the wisdom exhibited, you are stunned silent. Five days, it may seem short, but it's written so richly and insightful, I came away for the better. And I think you will too.

We’re all broken. We’re only human. Some wounds only God can mend.” (267)
So let Him.


The MacDonald Family Trilogy


NOTE:  I won a copy of this book in a giveaway and reviews were not required. All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.


TO PURCHASE A COPY

   



Carla Laureano is the RITA Award-winning author of contemporary inspirational romance and Celtic fantasy (as C.E. Laureano). A graduate of Pepperdine University, she worked as a sales and marketing executive for nearly a decade before leaving corporate life behind to write fiction full-time. She currently lives in Denver with her husband and two sons, where she writes during the day and cooks things at night.



TO CONNECT WITH CARLA:  website,  facebook,  twitter

                                                                                                                                                                      




8 comments :

  1. hahaha! I really don't remember threatening you ;) So delighted that you've met #myJames now (and the other characters of Skye)... and that you continue to recognize that he is indeed #myJames :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol....we'll remember what we remember?! Is that how the saying goes?! Yes..he is your James, but don't worry, I've learned to call dibs on my boys...(aka #myTrent & #myColin in Kristi Ann Hunter's Hawthorne House series)! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this book!!! Great review! I won't even bother trying bringing up #myJames hahahahaha <3 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahh. RACHEL, you crack me up! See CARRIE, deny all you want. We ALL know about #myJames. ;) Love you gals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book soon after it came out, and I remember really enjoying it! My mind memories of the story have faded with time, but I know I have on my WishList and hopefully will get to them at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review, Annie! Sounds like I need to move this book up on my TBR...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of a Scottish romance - not sure if I'm getting a vacation this summer, so maybe I will have to do virtual vacation through books!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much about this book to like - the highlands, renovating a family hotel, I just love it all.
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete