Saturday, July 30, 2016

Home Sewn: Projects and Inspiration for Every Room by Cassandra Ellis


Title:  Home Sewn
Author: Cassandra Ellis
Release Date:  June 14, 2016
Genre: Arts & Crafts, Sewing

Transform your home with fabric as your foundation

This beautiful craft book features distinctive sewing projects dedicated to living, resting, eating, and sharing. Use quality materials—from rustic linen to leather—to create simple ottomans, pendant light shades, a voile bed skirt, and more. With dreamy lifestyle photography and ideas for every room,Home Sewn is a keepsake for the modern maker.


Home Sewn by Cassandra Ellis is one of those books I don't get tired looking at. Filled with pretty pictures and projects that makes me want to turn on my sewing machine and get working.  Many of the projects are simple enough that I've already had taken a shot at, which also means these are projects that you either don't need instructions or you can easily find elsewhere. However, the prettiness of it makes it worthwhile.

So my favorite project is the linen ottomans, which is much more complicated than it seems. My shot at it did not turn out the best, and will require some reworking.  First, you'll need to go onto her website to download the pattern, and work from there. Then it's standard laying out the materials, getting the pattern situation and so on and so forth. What comes out of it, may not always look like the ones in the pretty picture. That could also be that I used cotton instead of linen, but it says fabric, so I assume I can use any, despite the title being linen.

As mentioned before, some of the projects are quite standard - bags and tea towels, but what makes them different is the author explaining some fabric choices and price difference. I do appreciate that. A couple of the projects, requires purchasing a kit from a UK website. Understandably, the author is from the UK, but since the book is released in the US, shouldn't they include a equivalent? Next, if you have to purchase a kit to do a project, why is it in a book that is suppose to show you how to do these projects? Despite all these misgivings, I can still tell you, I like Home Sewn. I like it for the very reasons I noted in the first two lines of this review - I like looking at it and it inspires me.  That in itself is worth the purchase. =) Don't you agree?



NOTE:  I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through Blogging for Books for an honest review.  All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.


TO PURCHASE A COPY

    





CASSANDRA ELLIS is a designer and maker of high-end quilts and homewares. She runs a studio in London, where she teaches contemporary craft and interiors workshops. Her stunning designs are stocked by leading retailers, including Liberty of London.


TO CONNECT WITH CASSANDRA:  website






                                                                                                                                                                      


2 comments :

  1. Annie, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when books like this have excellent photography! I think it makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete