Book Review: Return of the Continuums by Jennifer Brody


"Her mind was made up. There was no going back now." (220)


Title:  The Return of the Continuums
Series: The Continuum Trilogy
Author: Jennifer Brody
Publisher:  Turner Publishing
Release Date:  November 1, 2016
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian


Reaching the surface was just the beginning.

As Myra Jackson and her friends set out to find the First Continuum, Captain Aero Wright and two companions from the outer space Second Continuum find themselves banished for treason and stranded on Earth. Wright has vowed to complete his late father’s mission to recolonize their ancestral planet, but his true mission is to find the mysterious girl who haunts his dreams. Meanwhile, Myra and the young refugees of the underwater Thirteenth Continuum must make an unlikely ally if they are going to survive the hostile surface world and reach their destination, the nexus of humanity’s hope for survival. As their paths begin to converge, the Beacons that guide and connect Myra and Aero begin to prove their power, and a shadowy force with a centuries-old grudge reveals itself.




If you've read my review of Jennifer Brody's The 13th Continuum (review linked), you know I was enthralled by it, especially the world-building aspect of the story, and by the author's writing.  I was very excited to read The Return of the Continuums, book 2 of The Continuum Trilogy, but I had to hold back, not wanting my over-eagerness taint any type of false expectations.  That was absolutely silly thinking. The Return of the Continuums was everything a fan of the first book expected and more.

Jennifer Brody's writing continues to fascinate me in her prose, her attention to detail, as well as her creativity in building this world we know of, and technically adding more worlds. The complexity of it all astounds me, yet it made sense! How? I have no idea, but it works. Of course, I didn't exactly expect more detailed explanation of the world I thought I knew enough about from book 1, but it was well presented and executed. I didn't expect, but I was glad of it. It created more suspense and excitement, and development of the characters. We get to see Myra and Aero's back stories and how it affects themselves and their relationships. Of note, the flashbacks to "before the Doom" were a great detail that tied everything together nicely.

What I can tell you about The Return of the Continuum isn't just a bridge between the beginning and the end of the series, it's the reason, or at least it held the reason, and by the last page, you will pre-order the last book in the series, The United Continuums, hoping to get it as soon as you can. 




NOTE:  I received a complimentary ARC of this book from the publisher, Turner PublishingI was not required to write a positive review, and have not been compensated for this. This is my honest opinion.

For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.

TO PURCHASE A COPY

   





Jennifer Brody lives and writes in Los Angeles. After graduating from Harvard University, she began her career in feature film development. Highlights include working at New Line Cinema on many projects, including The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Golden Compass, and Love In The Time of Cholera. She’s a member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. She also founded and runs BookPod, a social media platform for authors with hundreds of members. This is her first book.

TO CONNECT WITH JENNIFER:  website,  facebook,  twitter



                                                                                                                                                                      


CONVERSATION

4 comments:

  1. Annie, this series sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you loved these - I haven't heard of them!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it different than many dystopian fiction we see nowadays, and the creative aspect, along with the writing of the author's makes it a good series! I think Book 1 has won awards.

      Delete