“Gracious sakes. I’ve squished a grandpa.”
Release Date: April 6, 2017
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Single mom, Eisley Barrett, prefers to keep romance safely housed within a centuries-old mystery, but when she travels to England to unearth the secret, an actor with a sordid past offers her reluctant heart a very different type of discovery.
Wes Harrison has a past he’s ashamed to confess. Suspicious and cynical, he’s managed to avoid romantic entanglements since a tragedy upended his career and life, that is until American Eisley Barrett comes along. Her authenticity and kindness upend his bitter assumptions and send his heart into unscripted territory.
When his past threatens to ruin a second chance at love, can some Appalachian matchmaking and letters from the grave salvage their unexpected romance?
With humor and charm, Just the Way You Are is Pepper Basham's latest gift to readers.
“She liked comedy, but this is ridiculous.”
Ridiculously funny is on the top of the list of thoughts on this novel. That opening scene had me laugh out loud in hysterics as I try to continue on. As Eisley Barrett, the overly clumsy Appalachian meets the ridiculously handsome Wes Harrison, think BBC actor with charm, looks and a British accent, what kind of mischief will ensue? Obviously plenty. And there will be plenty of romance adding to that as well. From sweet first kisses, closet kisses to pull-you-in surprise kisses, simply 'steamy' doesn't seem to cut it. Fairy tales with Prince Charming kinds of romance, second-chance romances, romance filled with redemption and grace, and romance that others see way before the couple in question even had an inkling of it is what we're talking about, is more like it. O, did I tell you there's chocolate involve? Yep. Chocolate. Kisses. Laughing. Mystery. Closets and lots of characters for you to fall in love with, including a little "exhibitionist" that might just steal your heart.
|Thank you, my dear friend, Beth at Faithfully Bookish |
for allowing me to use this pretty graphic.
"Calm. Distant. Glacial. The perfect coolant for her overactive imagination.”
Don't let all this talk of laughter or romance deter you if you're into fiction with more of a profound message. Pepper Basham knows how to take a reader on a ride that's filled with all the signs of an experienced life - filled with the joys and the sadness, but also the redemptive quality when comes a time for finding purpose. Just the Way You Are isn't just comedy, but includes a beautiful message of dreams and trust. Trust in others and in the One that will guide you, when you ask.
“. . . your insecurities keep you in a constant state of doubt which blinds you to God’s work in your life.”
“Fear can't outshine God's love, and death can't, either.”
Pepper Basham continues to write a story that I not only love, but will treasure and reread many more times. If you love romantic comedy, anglo-love stories, fairy tales, second chances or simply a story you'll enjoy, Just the Way You Are is it.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, and have not been compensated for this. This is my honest opinion.
For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.
Pepper Basham is an award-winning author who writes novels inspired by her love for history and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Her Penned in Time series has garnered recognition in the Inspys, Grace Awards, and the ACFW Carol Awards. Her contemporary romance novel, A Twist of Faith, received 4-stars from Romantic Times, and most recently, her newest release, The Thorn Healer, received a Top Pick from RT with 4 ½ stars.
To celebrate her tour, Pepper is giving away a Grand Prize consisting of:
A ‘chest’ – in JTWYA historical letters are discovered in a chest that relates to the historical storyline, so all of these lovely goodies are going to be safely inside this chest.
- Chocolate – several references take place in JTWYA that compare the hero to chocolate 😉
- A plaque about family – because that’s a main point of importance in JTWYA
- A Spider-man zipper pull – Pete, the heroine’s son, is a major Spider-man fan.
- English Breakfast Tea – The hero is English…swoony English
- A dishcloth – again, something that relates to a scene in the book regarding the hero and dishes (twice)
- Stirring spoon and measuring cups – food and cooking are a big part of Appalachian culture and fellowship, something celebrated in JTWYA
- A notebook – Eisley (the heroine) is taking notes about a historical family mystery
- A lovely container full of cloth flowers (for fun, and beauty) – the container says – Love and you will be loved. Loving others has an amazing way to find its way back to us (as is what happens in JTWYA)
- A little plaque that reads “You are Loved” – a theme of this story
- A beautiful lace doily from England (the English part of the story)
- Some “Pixie Dust” a fun visualization of the ‘magic’ of romance in this story
- and A copy of Just the Way You Are!!
For the full tour with more reviews, guest posts and info about Just the Way You Are, check out the rest of the tour. You'll find the full tour schedule on the tour's landing page. Just click on CelebrateLit's logo below.