Book Review: Goodnight From London by Jennifer Robson

“I hope to return to you I long for it more than anything and yet I know it is unlikely.”


Title:  Goodnight From London
Author: Jennifer Robson
Publisher:  William Morrow, imprint of HarperCollins
Release Date: April 24, 2017
Genre:  Contemporary Literary Fiction



From USA Today bestselling author Jennifer Robson—author of Moonlight Over Paris and Somewhere in France—comes a lush historical novel that tells the fascinating story of Ruby Sutton, an ambitious American journalist who moves to London in 1940 to report on the Second World War, and to start a new life an ocean away from her past.

In the summer of 1940, ambitious young American journalist Ruby Sutton gets her big break: the chance to report on the European war as a staff writer for Picture Weekly newsmagazine in London. She jumps at the chance, for it's an opportunity not only to prove herself, but also to start fresh in a city and country that know nothing of her humble origins. But life in besieged Britain tests Ruby in ways she never imagined.




I know I've said in the past, I'm not thrilled with reading stories set during the World Wars, but for some reason, I kept gravitating towards such stories. There are some that I refrain from ever mentioning again, but then there are so many that are just superb. Goodnight From London falls in that category. My first book of author, Jennifer Robson, and it won't be my last, especially when I also heard great things about Moonlight Over Paris.  

Goodnight From London has it all - a slow, steady, yet poignantly beautiful romance, rich historical details, solicitous setting of war times, and characters that incite feelings for. Ruby, a female American journalist covered times during a besieged Britain, met and encountered stories that opened her eyes to more than what she expected. Then there's the the love, love of a man clouded with mystery, with possibilities, but also with uncertainties. When danger makes its way, Ruby must figure things out on her own, and wonder to trust her head or her heart - or is there a possibility to do both? When tumultuous times call for extraordinary courage and strength, will our characters be able to muster what is expected or what is needed?  

“. . . she, the girl who never cried, let the tears stream down her face until her eyes were dry and she could cry no more.”

I enjoyed the author's writing style - easy to read and easy to be absorbed into the life of Ruby and her supporting characters. Poignant tale, but always with a glimmer of hope, when hope was most needed. As we know the outcome of the war, the author's representation of what occurs in the daily lives of people who endured spoke loud. Goodnight From London is a great read, and I hope you'll have the opportunity to read it as well. 

“I will come home to you. It may be months or even years, but I will come home to you.”

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from the author/publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, and have not been compensated for this. This is my honest opinion.

Please note, quotes were taken from an advance reader's copy, which is more a less an uncorrected proof. Please do not reuse these unless you've verified with the release copy. Thank you.

For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.

TO PURCHASE A COPY 
    





Jennifer Robson is the USA Today and #1 Toronto Globe & Mail bestselling author of Somewhere in France, After the War is Over and Moonlight Over Paris. She holds a doctorate from Saint Antony’s College, University of Oxford. She lives in Toronto with her husband and young children.

TO CONNECT WITH THE AUTHOR:  Website | Facebook  | Twitter 






Check out the full tour schedule for more information! Click on the image below to take you there.
                                                                                                                                          




CONVERSATION

6 comments:

  1. This does sound really good. I added it to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Danielle. I hope you'll get the chance to read it. It's a good one.

      Delete
  2. WOW! This one sounds like a must read! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reallyliked it. Hope you'll get the chance too!

      Delete
  3. I'm usually drawn to WWII books because of the stories my grandparents told me about their experiences. This is definitely a book I want to read!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete