Book Review: The Pony Express Romance Collection from Barbour Publishing

"Hearts Are United by Express Mail" (back cover)


Title:  The Pony Express Romance Novella Collection
Authors: Barbara Tifft Blakely, Mary Davis, Darlene Franklin, Cynthia Hickey, Maureen Lang, Debby Lee, Donna Schlachter, Connie Stevens & Pegg Thomas
Publisher: Barbour Publishing
Release Date:  April 1, 2017
Genre: Historical Fiction / Novella Collection



Join the race from Missouri, across the plains and mountains to California and back again as brave Pony Express riders and their supporters along the route work to get mail across country in just ten days. It is an outstanding task in the years 1860 to 1861, and only a few are up to the job. Faced with challenges of terrain, weather, hostile natives, sickness, and more, can these adventurous pioneers hold fast, and can they also find lasting love in the midst of daily trials? Find out in this exciting collection of nine historical romances.

The Pony Express Romance Collection consists of stories by Barbara Tifft Blakey, Mary Davis, Darlene Franklin, Cynthia Hickey, Maureen Lang, Debby Lee, Donna Schlachter, Connie Stevens and Pegg Thomas. All wonderful authors that I've had the pleasure of reading one or more of their novella collections in the past (if I remember correctly). I'm a fan of Barbour Publishing's romance collections. I love bringing it on a trip so I can satisfy my love for reading in short doses, especially when traveling. 

This particular collection surprised me a bit since I had assume it was related more to love story that started off through the express mail or along the way. Some of the stories' settings were as such, but not all, and I think it's okay as long as the story is entertaining. I read most of the stories in this collection one at a time, and I think it helped differentiate them. Each story had a great premise and does provide a certain message that I appreciate. The characters on the majority were someone I'd enjoy getting to know. The trouble with many novellas are the lack of character or romance development, and for a select few, it was like that. Though for many, I loved it so much, I hated to see it end. In all, The Pony Express Romance Collection have some great stories. For those that enjoy a light and short read set out in the early American West, this collection will be a fun one. It was for me.


Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, and have not been compensated for this. This is my honest opinion.

For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page.

TO PURCHASE A COPY OR ADD IT ON GOODREADS

  
  


Please click on the authors' name to take you to their websites for more info.

                                                                                                                                              

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

CONVERSATION

6 comments:

  1. This looks fun! The pony express was only in operation a very short time so it had to be a very dangerous time. Can't wait to see what transpires in these stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It was interesting indeed. I've learnt a bit about it through these stories!

      Delete
  2. I just got this book the other day, when it went on sale. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have this one in my TBR and look forward to reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caryl!! I hope you'll get the chance to read it soon!

      Delete